The book was supposed to have been out in the shops by now, but thanks to a combination of factors: half me only finishing the book at the last minute, and half my publisher being too caught up with another project to get the ball rolling, it has set back to, I believe May 2007.
It's been a very long time since I've done an update, for the very simple reason that I decided just to get my head down and write, avoiding any distractions along the way. But the book has entered a new stage, so I figured I'd mention it quickly.
I had a brief moment of joy earlier this week when suddenly I felt I could see the light at the end of the book tunnel for the first time. It was a distant glimmer but having been groping about in the dark for over two years, it was a revelation.
At the same time, however, I realised a fundamental error in my approach to writing this book from its very early days. I have vast, vast quantities of material and off-and-on for a long while have been dipping into it, making notes and then leaving it be until I had another day or so free from work to get stuck in again.
I've done a chunk of writing, but I have a terrible sense that I'm over-researching. At least I am in as far as the deadline for the book is the end of this month - less than 30 days away and the actual book remains only half-written. I will just have to ignore the research and write the words and then do the additional research and then make additions and changes afterwards.